The 3 Jack Recap is a weekly review of the top news stories in the world of golf.
J.B. Holmes erased a six stroke deficit to win the Shell Houston Open in a playoff against Johnson Wagner and Jordan Spieth. The LPGA’s first major also went to a playoff, with Brittany Lincicome beating Stacy Lewis.
A Final Round 64 propels Holmes to Playoff Win
- J.B. Holmes birdied his first five holes and carded a 29 on the front en route to his 64.
- Johnson Wagner played on a sponsor’s exemption, having lost his full time status on Tour.
- The Houston Open padded its lead as the tournament with the most playoffs on Tour.
Holmes’ six shot rally was the biggest final round deficit overcome to win a tournament since Matt Jones erased six strokes in last year’s Houston Open.
Brittany Lincicome Wins the LPGA’s First Major
- Lincicome was two shots out of the lead in the 18th fairway. She hit her 5 iron to 10 feet from 190 yards away and made the eagle putt.
- It took three sudden death playoff holes, but Lincicome outlasted Stacy Lewis to win the ANA Inspiration.
The playoff included three trips through the par 5 18th hole, yet all three times Lincicome didn’t take advantage of her length, laying up each time.
She prevailed when Lewis’ lay up settled in a sand-filled divot. Lewis couldn’t dig her approach out as cleanly as she needed and left her 3rd shot on the front apron. That lead to bogey for Lewis and Brittany’s par gave her the victory.
Adam Scott to Use Long Putter at Augusta
- Scott confirmed he will go back to his broomstick putter with an anchored stroke for The Masters after playing his last three events with a conventional length putter.
- Scott missed the cut with the short putter at the Valspar, breaking a streak of 45 cuts made in a row.
- Scott unofficially ranks 184th on Tour in Strokes Gained: Putting
Jason and Amanda Dufner Are Getting Divorced
- The day after finishing the Valspar Championship, Jason agreed to the divorce settlement.
- The couple had been separated since February 17. Rex Hoggard broke the story.
We wish them both the best. Like many others, Jason Dufner instantly became one of our favorite characters on Tour.
Have a good week!